The Advanced Course on AI (ACAI) is a specialized course in Artificial Intelligence sponsored by EurAI.
The theme of the 2018 ACAI School is Statistical Relational Artificial Intelligence (StarAI).
StarAI is an emerging area that combines logical (or relational) AI and probabilistic (or statistical) AI.
Relational AI deals very effectively with complex domains involving many and even a varying number of entities connected by complex relationships, while statistical AI manages well the uncertainty that derives from incomplete and noisy descriptions of the domains. Both fields achieved significant successes over the last thirty years but evolved largely independently until about fifteen years ago, when the potential originating from their combination started to emerge. Statistical Relational Learning (SRL) was proposed for exploiting relational descriptions in statistical machine learning methods from the field of graphical models. Meanwhile, the scope of SRL was significantly advanced in StarAI to cover all forms of reasoning and models of AI. StarAI is nowadays an ample area encompassing many and diverse approaches.
The school includes courses on foundations of relational and statistical AI together with advanced courses on the new StarAI approaches and applications. The talks will provide theoretical background, practical examples and real applications where StarAI can play a role. Hands-on classes will be also organized where the main StarAI techniques will be applied to “small” examples.
Research topic/Special issue on Statistical Relational Artificial Intelligence in the Frontiers in Robotics and AI Journal.
The list of confirmed lecturers includes:
- Luc De Raedt: Probabilistic (Logic) Programming
- Paolo Frasconi: Kernels and Deep Networks for Structured Data
- Sebastian Riedel and Pasquale Minervini: Differentiable Program Interpreters
- Artur d’Avila Garcez: Neural-Symbolic Learning
- Marco Lippi: Applications of Statistical Relational Artificial Intelligence
- Sriraam Natarajan: Human Allied Statistical Relational AI
- Mathias Niepert and Alberto García Durán: Neural Link Prediction for Multi-Modal Knowledge Graphs
- Kristian Kersting: Lifted Statistical Machine Learning
- Fabrizio Riguzzi: Probabilistic Inductive Logic Programming
- Vaishak Belle: Effective Probabilistic Logical Reasoning and Learning in Continuous Domains
Important Dates & Latest News
Travel Grant First Cutoff Date:
Travel Grant First Notification:
Travel Grant Second Cutoff Date:
Travel Grant Second Notification:
Late Registration: July 27
- September 17th 2018 - The video recordings of all the lectures at the 2018 ACAI summer school are now available here.
- June 20th 2018 - The Lectures page is online. Visit to find what we will discuss in Ferrara!
- May 21st 2018 - The page for Accommodation has been updated with a very cheap hostel for students.
- May 9th 2018 - Registrations are open.
- April 10th 2018 - Registration information will be published soon. We apologize for the slight delay. To stay up-to-date, please subscribe to our Google group.
- April 6th 2018 - We have arranged special prices with several hotels located in the city center. Visit the Accommodation page for more information.
- April 6th 2018 - RAID venue may be subject to change. Updated information will be published shortly (about a week).
- March 16th 2018 - Join us in the RAID2018 group to receive all the latest news immediately.
- March 12th 2018 - Information on registration and grants will be published by the end of March.
- March 9th 2018 - The list of lecturers have been updated. Welcom on board Vibhav and David!
- February 9th 2018 - Call for Participation has just been sent to various mailing list. The registration fees will be published shortly. Stay tuned!